Mr. Smarty Plants - Standing Cypress Plants in San Antonio, TX

Wednesday - June 26, 2013

From: SAN ANTONIO, TX
Topic: Propagation, Seeds and Seeding, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Standing Cypress Plants in San Antonio, TX

QUESTION:

I purchased seeds for standing cypress 2 years ago and this spring they look beautiful. What is the best way to harvest the seeds? Also, will the current plants come back next spring or will I have to wait another 2 years for the seed from this spring to bloom?

ANSWER:

Standing Cypress Ipomopsis rubra (Standing cypress) is a beautiful, showy plant that attracts both humming birds and butterflies. You’ve already experienced the fact that  it is a biennial, meaning that it grows vegetatively for the first year and blooms during the second year. Your current plants will probably follow the same scenatio. It flowers in May June and July. Let the seed completely mature on the plant before removing in order to plant in the Fall. Planting seeds each Fall in consecutive years will help ensure that you will have Standing Cypress in bloom each spring.

Standing cypress
Ipomopsis rubra

Standing cypress
Ipomopsis rubra

Standing cypress
Ipomopsis rubra