Friday - June 14, 2013

From: Atlanta, GA
Topic: Container Gardens, Pests
Title: Pill bugs in potted plants in Atlanta GA

Hello, I repotted four aloe vera plants two days ago with a cacti soil and watered them thoroughly in terra cotta pots according to directions on the bag. Well the next morning the pots had pill bugs all over them. I swept as many a way as I could but of course I see some in the soil and believe there are many in the soil. Should I just allow the soil to dry out or is it best to repot the plants and not water at all? The patio that the plants are on gets an eastern morning sun and I've always seen pill bugs there but didn't realize they could cause damage to plants as this is my first time potting plants. Thanks.

This is a little out of our line since we are native plant gardeners and not entomologists; however, we will see if we can find something on the Internet to help you.

GardenWeb Forum

The Bargain Hunter Pill Bugs a Beneficial Guest

University of California Integrated Pest Management Sowbugs and Pillbugs