Monday - June 10, 2013

From: El Paso, TX
Topic: Planting, Shrubs
Title: Time of year to plant Texas Mountain Laurel in El Paso, TX

QUESTION:

When is the best time of year to plant a Mountain Laurel tree in El Paso?

ANSWER:

As you can see from this USDA Plant Profile Map, the desert shrub or small tree Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain laurel) grows natively pretty far into West Texas and the Big Bend area, but not quite as far as El Paso County, so you will need to follow the plant link above to our webpage on that plant to make sure you have growing conditions appropriate to the plant.

As for the best time, the best time to plant any woody (trees or shrubs) plant in the hot Southwest is in cool weather, November to January when the plants are semi-dormant. Don't buy it now and plant it then. You won't even have to dig a hole if you do that, because the tree will already be dead.

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora