From: Lubbock, TX
Topic: Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs, Vines
Title: Plants for pergola in Lubbock TX

QUESTION:

I need suggestions of plants, vines, bushes to plant in my backyard near my wooden pergola that will work well in full sun in Lubbock, TX. Ideally, I'd like some that attract hummingbirds and provide some greenery and color. Fragrance would be a plus. Will honeysuckle, jasmine or trumpet vines work?

ANSWER:

You gave us a very good description of the area you wish to plant. Since Lubbock is in one of the more difficult, dry areas of Texas, we are going to go to our list of Recommended Species for the High Plains. Here is a description of the ecology of that area:

"High Plains

The High Plains area is part of the Southern Great Plains. It is separated from the Rolling Plains by the Llano Estacado Escarpment and dissected by the Canadian River Breaks in the northern part. Notable canyons include Tule and Palo Duro along the Caprock. This relatively level plateau contains many shallow siltation depressions, or playa lakes, which sometimes cover as much as 40 acres and contain several feet of water after heavy rains. These depressions support unique patterns of vegetation within their confines. The upland soils are dark brown to reddish brown, mostly deep, neutral to calcareous clay and clay loams in the north to sandy loams and sands in the south. Caliche is present under many soils at various depths, especially on the Potter series. The original vegetation of the High Plains was variously classified as mixed prairie, shortgrass prairie, and in some locations on deep, sandy soils as tallgrass prairie. Blue grama, buffalograss, and galleta (Hilaria jamesii) are the principal vegetation on the clay and clay loam sites."

Following that link to the list of Recomended Species for the High Plains, and using the sidebar list on the right, we will select first on "herbs" (herbaceous blooming plants) for Habit, and "sun" for Light Requirements. You can follow each plant link on our list to learn the bloom time and color, soil moisture, mature height, etc. We will check each plant we suggest with the USDA Plant Profile  (link at bottom of plant webpage) to make sure the plant grows naturally in or near Lubbock County. This is to try to find plants that work in your climate, soil and rainfall. We will  make subsequent searches on "shrubs" and "vines." After that you will know how to use our database and will be able to make searches on your own.

We felt your main need was for vines for your pergola. However, when we searched on the High Plains list, we got zero results for "vines." We then went to our main Native Plant Database and, using the Combination Search, searched on Texas for State, "vine" for Habit, "sun" for Light Requirements and "dry" for soil moisture. From that, we found 3 vines that do grow in or near the Texas Panhandle and do have the growing conditions you stipulated. One is a honeysuckle and one is a trumpet vine. Jasmine is native to tropical and subtropical areas of Asia, Africa and Australasia; therefore, they do not fall in our area of expertise.

Herbaceous blooming plants:

Achillea millefolium (Common yarrow)

Callirhoe involucrata (Winecup)

Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida (Prairie verbena)

Shrubs:

Acacia angustissima (Prairie acacia)

Rhus aromatica (Fragrant sumac)

Vines:

Bignonia capreolata (Crossvine)

Lonicera albiflora (Western white honeysuckle)

Merremia dissecta (Alamo vine)

If you have difficulty locating sources for the plants you select, go to our National Suppliers Directory and put your town and state or just your zipcode in the "Enter Search Location" box and click on GO. You will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed suppliers and consultants in your general area. They all have contact information so you can check for plant availability before you go.

Common yarrow
Achillea millefolium

Lazy daisy
Aphanostephus skirrhobasis

Winecup
Callirhoe involucrata

Prairie verbena
Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida

Prairie acacia
Acacia angustissima

Fragrant sumac
Rhus aromatica

Crossvine
Bignonia capreolata

Western white honeysuckle
Lonicera albiflora

Alamo vine
Merremia dissecta