Saturday - May 25, 2013

Topic: Planting, Trees
Title: Need suggestions for a replacement tree for Hackberry tree in Austin, TX in Austin TX.

QUESTION:

We have a large hackberry tree in our front yard. We are cutting it down this fall. I would like to replace it with a tree native to this area..preferably something fast growing. What are your recommendations?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants often gets questions about tree selection, so I am going to refer you to a previous answer to a similar question. It will introduce you to our Recommended Species Page and the Texas Tree Selector which are great tools for picking out trees. The Tree Planting & Care section of the Tree Selector has information to help you buy, plant, and care for your new tree.
The “How to Plant a Tree" article from our Step by Step Guides should also prove helpful.