Mr. Smarty Plants - Will non-native hostas do well in South Carolina from Seneca SC

Monday - May 20, 2013

From: Seneca, SC
Topic: Non-Natives, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Will non-native hostas do well in South Carolina from Seneca SC

QUESTION:

I am moving to SC from CT and want to bring some of the hostas I grow in CT. If I plant them in the shade in SC, will they do well down there?

ANSWER:

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is committed to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they evolved; in this case, Oconee County, SC. Hosta is a genus of about 23 to 45 species, native to northeast China.

From Ohio State University Extension, here is an article on Growing Hostas.