From: Fredericksburg, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Problems with a two year old persimmon tree in Fredricksburg, TX.

QUESTION:

Hi Mr/Ms Smarty Plants, We planted a 4-ft Texas Persimmon, Diospyros texana, 2-years ago, with wonderful leaf and fruit production since. We recently had a hail storm (5/9/13) and although most of our plants and trees are rebounding, I noticed our persimmon seemed to be languishing. I noticed a couple of small holes on the main trunk and ants were coming and going. One thing you should know, we're rotten with pocket gophers and moles. The little guy is a very special member of our suburban garden and any suggestions to save it would be very helpful. Thanks, from Fredericksburg.

ANSWER:

It is always difficult to diagnose a plant problem from a written description. I am not discounting the hail stones, pocket gophers, moles , and ants, but the problem with your two year old transplant could be transplant shock.

I’m including four links of sites that describe the problem with some possible remedies.

Morton  Arboretum

Northscaping.com

Northscaping.com-2

University of Kentucky

After looking through this material, you need to find a knowledgeable person to take a look at your persimmon tree to help determine the problem. I would suggest contacting the folks at the Gillespie County office of Texas AgriLife Extension.

Texas persimmon
Diospyros texana

Texas persimmon
Diospyros texana