Mr. Smarty Plants - Growing non-native Knockout roses and golden euonymus together from Crystal City MO

Sunday - May 19, 2013

From: Crystal City, MO
Topic: Non-Natives, Shrubs
Title: Growing non-native Knockout roses and golden euonymus together from Crystal City MO

QUESTION:

Can you plant knock out roses and golden euonymus together?

ANSWER:

Well, not on our watch. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is committed to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the areas in which those plants evolved; in your case, Jefferson County, in east central Missouri.

Euonymus japonicus is native to Japan, Korea and China. We suggest you read this article from Southern Living on Five Awful Plants for the Front of Your House.

The genus Rosa is largely native to China. It is severely hybridized. You might be interested in this article from The Daily South, Is the Knockout Rose Down for the Count?

Whether these two plants could be planted together would depend on the soils each requires, sunlight, water, and climate. Since we would have neither in our Native Plant Database, we cannot help you.