Mr. Smarty Plants - Will Virginia creeper harm brick walls in Las Vegas NM

Sunday - May 19, 2013

From: Las Vegas, NM
Title: Will Virginia creeper harm brick walls in Las Vegas NM

QUESTION:

Will Virginia creeper harm brick walls in Las Vegas, New Mexico?

ANSWER:

From our webpage on Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper):

"Its tendrils end in adhesive-like tips, giving this vine the ability to cement itself to walls and therefore need no support. The presence of adhesive tips instead of penetrating rootlets also means it doesnt damage buildings the way some vines do."

However, this USDA Plant Profile Map shows that it does not grow naturally in New Mexico at all. One of our favorite sayings is: "Plants don't always grow where they are supposed to but where they can get away with it."

Virginia creeper
Parthenocissus quinquefolia

Virginia creeper
Parthenocissus quinquefolia

Virginia creeper
Parthenocissus quinquefolia