Mr. Smarty Plants - Trees for privacy screen in California

Friday - May 31, 2013

From: Pacific Grove, CA
Topic: Privacy Screening, Trees
Title: Trees for privacy screen in California

QUESTION:

Hi Mr. Smartypants, We are first-time home-buyers of a cute little house and a relatively large lot in Pacific Grove, CA. Unfortunately the neighbors to the north have built a second story with a nice view..our yard. We would like to plant some natives that would provide a screen while not taking up too much of our yard or presenting a potential hazard from falling later (thinking specifically of shallow-rooted redwoods) or being too un-neighborly by blocking most of their sunlight. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks so much!

ANSWER:

Below are some suggestions of native evergreen trees and shrubs of various heights that are known to grow in Monterey County.  You could, perhaps, mix and match them to create an interesting screen between your yard and your neighbor's house.

Arctostaphylos glauca (Bigberry manzanita)  Here is more from Las Pilitas Nursery.

Ceanothus thyrsiflorus (Blue blossom)  More information from Bay Natives in San Francisco and from Theodore Payne Foundation.

Garrya elliptica (Wavyleaf silktassel)  Here are photos and more information from San Francisco Botanical Garden.

Heteromeles arbutifolia (Toyon)  Here are more photos and information from Las Pilitas Nursery.

Juniperus californica (California juniper)  Here is more information from Theodore Payne Foundation and photos from CalPhotos, University of California-Berkeley.

Lithocarpus densiflorus (Tan oak)  Here is more information from Oregon State University College of Forestry and photos from CalPhotos, University of California-Berkeley.

Morella californica (California wax myrtle)  Here are photos and more information from Great Plant Picks and San Marcos Growers near Santa Barbara.

Pinus muricata (Bishop pine)  Here is more information from Theodore Payne Foundation and Las Pilitas Nursery.

Pinus sabiniana (California foothill pine)  Here is more information from Las Pilitas Nursery and Theodore Payne Foundation.

Prunus ilicifolia (Hollyleaf cherry)  Here are more information and photos from Las Piliatas Nursery and Theodore Payne Foundation.

The University of California has a Californnia Tree Failure Report Program webpage to check for trees to avoid planting.

Below are photos of a few of these plants listed above.

Bigberry manzanita
Arctostaphylos glauca

Blueblossom
Ceanothus thyrsiflorus

Toyon
Heteromeles arbutifolia

Catalina cherry
Prunus ilicifolia ssp. lyonii