Mr. Smarty Plants - Illegal to pick roadside wildflowers from Vilonia AR

Saturday - May 11, 2013

From: Vilonia, AR
Title: Illegal to pick roadside wildflowers from Vilonia AR

QUESTION:

Is it illegal to pick roadside wildflowers in Arkansas?

ANSWER:

Every year about this time we get not one but several questions on this subjects, from all over North America. Because "wildflower" is in our name, everyone is sure we are the ultimate decision makers. Wrong. State roadsides are the province of the state highway departments and if any of them have such laws on their books they are not sharing them online. You might try contacting your own Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department. From that site, we found a link to this site; AHTD Wildflower Program.

Other sources for information on this question:

Previous Mr. Smarty Plants question Picking roadside flowers

U. S. Forest Service Celebrating Wildflowers Ethics and Native Plants

Houston Chronicle It's Perfectly Legal to Pick Wildflowers