Mr. Smarty Plants - Grey Goo Coming from red Oak in Manchaca TX

Monday - May 13, 2013

From: Manchaca, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Grey Goo Coming from red Oak in Manchaca TX
Answered by: Mike Tomme

QUESTION:

I have a large Red Oak in my yard that appears to be weeping some sort of grey goo from parts of the trunk. What is this goo and do I need to treat it and if so how? I'm happy to come by the Wildflower center with a photo if someone there could help me.

ANSWER:

Grey goo coming from anything is never a good sign. You need to get a certified arborist to look at your tree and it needs to be done as soon as possible. A professional can assess your tree and determine if it is threatened, if it can be cured and if other trees in the area are in danger.