Saturday - May 11, 2013

From: Trenton, NJ
Title: Springbeauty in New Jersey and Dog Allergies

Is Claytonia virginica in New Jersey and could my dog be allergic to it?

Yes, Claytonia virginica (Virginia springbeauty) can be found in New Jersey. Take a look at the USDA distribution map and you will see that this springbeauty has a large distribution range throughout the eastern half of the United States and into Ontario and Quebec.

In looking at the toxicity of this plant, Virginia springbeauty is listed as having edible leaves, flowering stems and roots on the Plants for a Future website. It has been a longtime staple of foragers.

The ASPCA list of toxic plants for dogs does not include Claytonia virginica.

Tom Ogren has some information on his Allergy-Free Gardening website about plants that cause allergies in dogs. Once again Claytonia is not mentioned, so if you suspect your dog has allergies, it may be other pollen-producing plants such as junipers, mulberries, grasses, oaks… (the same plants that cause allergies in humans).

Virginia springbeauty
Claytonia virginica

Virginia springbeauty
Claytonia virginica