En EspaÑol

Saturday - May 04, 2013

From: Huntsville, ON
Region: Canada
Topic: Edible Plants, Poisonous Plants, Shrubs
Title: Black chokeberry edible from Huntsville ON

QUESTION:

Can the fruit of the black chokeberry be eaten??

ANSWER:

From a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer on plants poisonous to livestock:

"Do not plant any trees in the rose family.  This includes cherries, plums, apples, pears and several other common trees.  Under certain conditions, their leaves can be very poisonous to livestock."

Apparently there is sometimes confusion between Photinia melanocarpa (Black chokeberry)  and Prunus virginiana (Chokecherry). Both are members of the Rosaceae family and both are native to Ontario. Under the circumstances, we believe you have the name right and, although the plant you are inquiring about is in the Rosaceae family, we believe that is edible but not poisonous. Generally, all parts of plants from the Prunus genus are considered poisonous, but those in the Photinia genus are not.

From earthday coalition:

"The fruit of the black chokeberry, while bitter raw, makes excellent jellies, jams and juices. The berries also provide a natural red dye."

Conclusion: If it is chokeBERRY  you want to eat, go right ahead, but be prepared to have some sugar on hand if you don't want to pucker up.

Black chokeberry
Photinia melanocarpa

Black chokeberry
Photinia melanocarpa

Chokecherry
Prunus virginiana