Monday - April 29, 2013

From: Boca Raton, FL
Topic: Privacy Screening, Shrubs
Title: Sources for Ilex shrubs from Boca Raton FL

QUESTION:

Where can I find Ilex plants in the Boca Raton, FL area? I would like to use them for hedges.

ANSWER:

There are 13 members of the Ilex (holly) genus native to North America; of those, 10 are native to Florida, but only 4 are native to Palm Beach Co., in the southeastern tip of Florida. We suspect this is a function both of the soils in south Florida and of the amount of moisture.

Ilex native to the area of Palm Beach County, FL:

Ilex ambigua (Carolina holly)

Ilex cassine (Dahoon)

Ilex glabra (Inkberry)

Ilex myrtifolia (Myrtle dahoon)

You can follow each plant link to our webpage on that plant, where you can learn its growing conditions, including the amount of sun it needs. Then, go to our National Suppliers Directory, put your town and city or just your zipcode in the "Enter Search Location box and click on GO. This will give you a list of native plant nurseries, seed suppliers and consultants in your general area. All will have contact information so you can find out if they have in stock what you need before you go shopping.

Carolina holly
Ilex ambigua

Inkberry
Ilex glabra

Myrtle dahoon
Ilex myrtifolia