Friday - January 31, 2003

From: Freeport, PA
Title: When the bluebonnets bloom
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

Can you tell me when the bluebonnets are in bloom?

ANSWER:

Early to mid-April is usually the showiest time and is fairly dependent on the weather. So far, we have had the unexpected pleasure of witnessing a "more than average" amount of rainfall this past Fall, which is a start to supporting a more floriferous display of wildflowers this Spring. If our Spring rains come on time, that and other factors will give us an excellent showing of wildflowers at the aforementioned time. Look for our annual Wildflower Forecast from the Wildflower Center web page during early Spring, a service providing info on travel routes for best wildflower viewing in Texas. Another resource is provided by the Texas Department of Transportation. They have a Travel Information line that provides up-to-date information of seasonal road conditions on Texas public highways. Their phone number is: 1-800-452-9292. They also support and have partnered with Lone Star Internet, Inc. with a "Wildflower Sightings" web-page, where you can view past years sightings.

A combination of wildflowers are at their peak in early April, specifically bluebonnets, indian blankets and indian paintbrush. You can view images of these and other flowers from the Wildflower Center web-page. Just choose "Explore Plants" from the side bar and then choose "Offshoots". From "Offshoots" choose "Slide Shows" and then "Wildflowers of Central Texas".