Tuesday - April 23, 2013

From: Elmendorf, TX
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Is Asclepias purpurascens a Texas native?

Is the Asclepias purpurascens a Texas native plant? If so where does it grow?

Asclepias purpurascens (Purple milkweed) is species that occurs in the most of the eastern half of North America.  You can see by this USDA Plants Database county distribution map for Texas that it has been reported only for Bowie County in the northeast corner of Texas.  So, technically, it might be considered a native, but just barely!   However, I very much doubt that it would do very well in Bexar County where you live.

Purple milkweed
Asclepias purpurascens