Thursday - April 18, 2013

From: Georgetown, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Planting, Trees
Title: Anacacho orchid not leafing out in Georgetown TX

February 2012 I planted 2 4-ft anacacho orchids which did well. This spring, they have yet to leaf out or even bud. There is green, however, when I scratch the stems and some suckers at the bottom of both trees. At least one of the trees briefly got blossoms in December 2012! Could they just be confused about the season? Everything else I planted at the same time has fully leafed out. What should I do?

First, please note from this USDA Plant Profile Map that Bauhinia lunarioides (Anacacho orchid tree) is native in Texas only to a few southwestern counties in Texas.  If you follow the plant link to our webpage on that plant, you will note this statement:

"Anacacho orchid tree makes a gorgeous display with its silvery gray bark and fragrant white flowers that resemble orchids. It is a relatively rapid-growing tree after its first year when placed in a favorable location, but should be planted on the south side of buildings in areas with harsh winters." Another website we visited said: 

"Temperature: Avoid western exposures having high reflected light conditions."

We are not sure we would go so far as to say we had a "harsh" winter in Central Texas this past year, but there have been frequent temperature swings. If you did not have it in a sheltered spot as mentioned above, that could have contributed to the problem. Also, this is a plant that needs good drainage, so that water does not stand on its roots. There is so much clay soil in Central Texas, and adding some decomposed granite or even sand to the native soil can help. This article from Aggie Horticulture adds some more insights on the tree.

And, finally, your tree may be suffering from transplant shock, which can show up in a plant anywhere from a few months to 5 years after transplanting. You planted it in cold weather, which we always recommend for woody plants; planting in the heat of summer is frequently fatal. We have no way of knowing for sure, and it probably would not be practical to move the tree to a more favorable location, but we do think your tree has a good chance of pulling out, since it still has a green under-bark layer. Try watering it by pushing the hose down in the soil around it and letting the water drip slowly until the surface is wet. This could help keep from drowning the roots if the soil does not have good drainage. This is a desert plant and should be deep watered like this only about once a month.

Anacacho orchid tree
Bauhinia lunarioides