Monday - April 15, 2013

From: London, Other
Topic: Non-Natives, Plant Identification
Title: Identification of red/yellow/black flower in California

Plant found, April Mount Diablo CA 6 symmetrical petals red with a pattern of a yellow flower with black edge in the centre, I can not identify, please help.

Your description sounds like Sparaxis tricolor (Harlequin flower or wandflower), in the Family Iridaceae (Iris Family).  It is not native to California, nor of North America (our area of expertise), but is a native of Africa—a garden escapee that has become naturalized in California.

Here are more photos and information from Calflora, Pacific Bulb Society, CalPhotos Berkeley and eFloras.org.