Monday - April 08, 2013

From: No. Charleston, SC
Topic: Plant Lists
Title: Plant List for Charleston South Carolina
Answered by: Brigid & Larry Larson

QUESTION:

I would like a list a plants that would do well in Charleston SC.

ANSWER:

For Mr Smarty Plants – That’s a relatively easy question.   I’ve got a couple really good options for you.  First of all, the Wildflower Center maintains a list of plants native to South Carolina  and actually all of the other states and major ecoregions.   All of these plants on the South Carolina list have proven resilient to the local climate by thriving there for centuries or more with no assistance.  The list itself is relatively versatile; on the right side of the screen is a listing of several attributes such as size, flower color, tolerance to wet and sun, etc., under a listing of “Narrow Your Search”. If you choose some of those attributes, then click "Narrow Your Search" on the bottom,  the list will reduce to plants that fit that request.

If you would like a more local flavor to your advice, the South Carolina Native Plant Society seems to have a very active and informative website.  I found several plant lists there, like “Low-country – Spring Native Plant Sale List”.  These lists and the Native Plant Society experts that support them should be an excellent resource.

Here are few attractive wildflowers from both lists.

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

American beautyberry
Callicarpa americana

Lanceleaf coreopsis
Coreopsis lanceolata