Wednesday - April 03, 2013

From: Dallas, TX
Title: Identity of Dalea plant

QUESTION:

While in Austin recently (I live in Dallas), I visited Jardinero on Cesar Chavez and purchased a shrub identified only as "Dalea". It is 3-4 feet tall, upright habit, typical tiny pea family foliage and lots of tiny pale pink pea family flowers. I cannot find a Dalea species that fits this plant. Can you help?

ANSWER:

There are several Daleas that grow to the size you mention and have pink flowers.   Take a look at these.   Perhaps one of them is the one you bought.

Dalea purpurea (Purple prairie clover) can grow to 3 feet high.  Here are photos and more information from Southeastern Arizona Wildflowers.

Dalea frutescens (Black dalea) can also grow to 3 feet high.   Here are photos and more information from Aggie Horticulture.

Dalea pulchra (Pretty dalea) is also called "Bush Dalea" and grow up to 8 feet high.   Here are photos and more information from Delange.org and from the Master Gardeners of University of Arizona Pima County Cooperative Extension.

Dalea bicolor var. argyrea (Silver prairie clover) is in the size class 1-3 feet.   Here are more photos from Southwest Environmental Information Network.

Dalea formosa (Feather dalea) grows 2-3 feet high.  Here are more photos and information from Aggie Horticulture.

Psorothamnus fremontii var. fremontii (Fremont's dalea) grows from 2 to 6 feet.  Here are more photos and information from Southwest Environmental Information Network.

Purple prairie clover
Dalea purpurea

Purple prairie clover
Dalea purpurea

Black dalea
Dalea frutescens

Black dalea
Dalea frutescens

Pretty dalea
Dalea pulchra

Pretty dalea
Dalea pulchra

Silver prairie clover
Dalea bicolor var. argyrea

Silver prairie clover
Dalea bicolor var. argyrea

Featherplume
Dalea formosa

Featherplume
Dalea formosa

Fremont indigo bush
Psorothamnus fremontii var. fremontii