Wednesday - November 08, 2006

From: Leander, TX
Topic: Pruning, Seasonal Tasks
Title: Winter trimming and shaping of native perennials
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

Granted, it's a bit early, but for planning purposes: What is the best care for shrub-like woody perennials, like Lantana, Copper Canyon Daisy, Salvia greggii, Chile Pequin, Eupatorium wrightii, Pavonia? Cut back to the ground? Light shaping? Something in between?

Something in between is the best plan. At the end of the growing season you can cut these particular plants back by 1/3 to 1/2. However, if there are any berries/fruit left on the plants, you might leave these for the wildlife and trim the plants a bit later—until all the fruits are gone or just before it is time for new growth to form.