Mr. Smarty Plants - Is Early May OK for Roguing Bastard Cabbage?

Thursday - March 28, 2013

Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Is Early May OK for Roguing Bastard Cabbage?

QUESTION:

Hi Smarty:) I'm trying to determine the window for seed set for bastard cabbage. I'm hoping to get about 250 volunteers out to remove it but the date is schedule in early May. Judging by the inflorescence now I expect seeds to set mid April?

ANSWER:

If you can schedule your volunteer event prior to early May, you'll do more good than waiting until then.  As you know, bastard cabbage (Rapistrum rugosum) is flowering now and it will soon set seed.  If you intend to cut or pull, remove and destroy the plants, then you will do more good than if you simply leave the plant lay where they are.  Early May might be too late for the latter scenario.  Pulling the plants, though much more difficult, is more effective than cutting the tops since this species will resprout and flower again after being cut.