Mr. Smarty Plants - Tall trees for privacy screen in St. Augustine FL

Sunday - March 24, 2013

From: Atlanta, GA
Topic: Privacy Screening, Trees
Title: Tall trees for privacy screen in St. Augustine FL

QUESTION:

Please let me know what kind of evergreen tall trees I can plant for privacy in my back yard in the st. Augustine, Florida area. Thanks for your assistance.

ANSWER:

To answer your question, we will go to our Native Plant Database and, on the Combination Search near the middle of that page, we will search on Florida for the state and "tree" for Habit. Since you told us only that you wanted tall evergreen trees we will select on "evergreen" under Duration and 36 to 72 ft. for ultimate height. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center only recommends plants native not only to North America (excluding Mexico) but to the area in which those plants grow naturally. All the trees on our list for you are native in or near St. Johns County on the northeast Florida coast. Bear in mind that it will be many years before these trees attain their mature height, and you should be aware of the extent of their root systems before you plant them near foundations, sidewalks and other hardscape.

Chamaecyparis thyoides (Atlantic white cedar)

Ilex opaca (American holly)

Juniperus virginiana (Eastern red cedar)

Persea borbonia (Redbay)

Quercus virginiana (Coastal live oak)

Sabal palmetto (Cabbage palmetto)

Atlantic white cedar
Chamaecyparis thyoides

American holly
Ilex opaca

Eastern red cedar
Juniperus virginiana

Redbay
Persea borbonia

Coastal live oak
Quercus virginiana

Cabbage palmetto
Sabal palmetto