Wednesday - February 27, 2013

From: Laceys Spring, AL
Topic: Wildflower Center, Wildflowers
Title: Wildflower blooming in Austin in mid-March from Laceys Spring AL

QUESTION:

Hi I will be at and around the center the weekend of March 9 & 10 to exhibit in the Art and Artisan's Festival and plan to stay a few extra days to "wildflower" either before or after. What is your recommendation in regard to the blooming going on now and expected pattern. Obviously would prefer to see most blooms possible.

ANSWER:

We are delighted you will be here for the Artists and Artisans Festival as well as doing some wildflower viewing. You will actually be here in a prime time for flower viewing. The ever-popular bluebonnet is reliably in full bloom from early March to mid-April. Here is a previous Mr. Smarty Plants question that has good information on where to tour in this area. This answer was for someone in Arkansas who wanted to know the same thing you do, so you can ignore the references to other parts of the state. From our Native Plant Database. we are going to give you a list of the wildflowers blooming from February through April in Central Texas. You should be able to see all of them in the Center itself, and be sure you get the map for visitors when you first check in. Enjoy!

Wildflowers blooming February to April in Central Texas:

Amblyolepis setigera (Huisache daisy)

Castilleja indivisa (Entireleaf indian paintbrush)

Callirhoe involucrata (Winecup)

Coreopsis lanceolata (Lanceleaf coreopsis)

Coreopsis tinctoria var. tinctoria (Golden tickseed)

Dracopis amplexicaulis (Clasping coneflower)

Echinacea purpurea (Eastern purple coneflower)

Lupinus texensis (Texas bluebonnet)

Melampodium leucanthum (Blackfoot daisy)

Oenothera speciosa (Pink evening primrose)

Salvia roemeriana (Cedar sage)

Tradescantia gigantea (Giant spiderwort)

Huisache daisy
Amblyolepis setigera

Entireleaf indian paintbrush
Castilleja indivisa

Lanceleaf coreopsis
Coreopsis lanceolata

Clasping coneflower
Dracopis amplexicaulis

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis

Blackfoot daisy
Melampodium leucanthum

Pink evening primrose
Oenothera speciosa

Giant spiderwort
Tradescantia gigantea