En EspaÑol

Sunday - March 14, 2004

Title: Baby Butts in Bluebonnets
Answered by: Sage Kawecki

QUESTION:

Do photo sessions in the Bluebonnet patch cause harm to the plants?

ANSWER:

Standing and sitting on Bluebonnets damages the flowers, which greatly diminishes their ability to set seed for the next year. Also, native pollinators depend on the Bluebonnet as a food source, and are directly affected by the diminished Bluebonnet population. Please be respectful of Bluebonnet communities and keep them looking good so that everyone can enjoy them. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center provides specific Bluebonnet patches in our botanical garden for your photo opportunities.

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis