Mr. Smarty Plants - Is California fan palm found on Edwards Plateau from Austin

Friday - January 18, 2013

Topic: Soils, Trees
Title: Is California fan palm found on Edwards Plateau from Austin

QUESTION:

Is the following Palm, Washingtonia filifera, found in the Texas Hill Country, specifically the Edwards Plateau or Balcones Canyonlands NWR.

ANSWER:

This USDA Plant Profile Map shows (in green) where in the United States the Washingtonia filifera (California fan palm) grows. You could follow the plant link to our webpage to learn their growing conditions. When we did this, we learned that the palm likes moist, alkaline soils. The alkaline we have in Central Texas, the moist we don't.

California fan palm
Washingtonia filifera