Mr. Smarty Plants - Care for non-native Kalanchoe from Belton SC

Sunday - December 23, 2012

From: Belton, SC
Title: Care for non-native Kalanchoe from Belton SC

QUESTION:

The leaves on a Kalanchoe that we bought from Logee's has leaves starting to curl. It has been this way since I bought it. It is in a south window, it's cold out so I put the plant inside. Besides cutting it down, what is it that I can do for it?? thank you!

ANSWER:

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is dedicated to the growth, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which those plants grow natively. Very few potted plants for indoor use (which your Kalanchoe is) are native. The indoor environment is pretty hostile to plants and they often fall victim to pests and diseases. The Kalanchoe, although widely cultivated in North America, is actually native to China. From the Clemson University Cooperative Extension, here is an article on Kalancho Care.