En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Mexican species <i>Orbexilum melanocarpum</i>.

Friday - January 04, 2013

Topic: Non-Natives, User Comments, Vines
Title: Mexican species Orbexilum melanocarpum.

QUESTION:

This is not a question; just a note to supplement a previous MSP post answering a query about a source for Orbexilum. The "mountain pea" that the original questioner was asking about is the evergreen North American Native Orbexilum melanocarpum found native in the Sierras of northeastern Mexico, hence the name "mountain pea". If you wish to add this plant to your database the relevant botanical literature is by Billie L. Turner in LUNDELLIA 11:1–7. 2008 and is posted on the internet. BTW it's a great landscape plant in Austin and the eastern half of Texas, as are most natives from mid elevation in the Sierra Madre Oriental.

ANSWER:

Thank you for the amplifying information!  It will be useful to our readers.

For technical reasons, we do not include information on strictly Mexican species in our database and thus, sometimes overlook them in our research.