Mr. Smarty Plants - Sources for Wax myrtle (Morella cerifera)

Thursday - September 21, 2006

From: Alvin, TX
Title: Sources for Wax myrtle (Morella cerifera)

QUESTION:

I live in Alvin, Texas. I am looking for a small shade tree, that is easy to care for. I only have a small area for the tree. Alvin, Texas is about 30 miles from Galveston. I saw a wax myrtle tree online which looks like what I am looking for. If so, where can I find one? Also, I am open for suggestions of other small shade trees. I want one that is fast growing. Thanks for any info

ANSWER:

Wax myrtle (Morella cerifera)is a very good choice for your area. It is small, evergreen, and grows fast. When you buy, be sure that you are getting a full-size tree since there are dwarf wax myrtles available. Yaupon holly (Ilex vomitoria) is another good candidate. It is also a small evergreen, but with only a moderate growth rate. You can use your criteria and search for other possibilities that will do well in Brazoria County, Texas in Texas Tree Planting Guide from the Texas Forest Service.

You can find nurseries and seed companies in your area that specialize in native plants by searching in our National Suppliers Directory. Some of the companies listed have web pages. In a quick preliminary search in the Directory I found that Natives of Texas in Kerrville lists wax myrtle for sale on their web page. You might be able to find one nearer to you, either on the web or by telephone, to determine if they have wax myrtle for sale. You might also visit the web sites of chapters of the Native Plant Society of Texas near you for sources of native plants.