Friday - October 19, 2012

Topic: General Botany, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Information about Turk's Cap for school project

Hello, my name is Veronica. I am doing a Species Study on Turk's Cap at Clint Small Middle School in the Green Tech Academy. I would like to learn more on my Native Texas Species. I am contacting you because I would like to be an expert on the plant that I chose. I would like to learn more about my species. I was hoping you could email me back to give me some cool facts about my plant. Thanks!

It is easy for you to do your very own research on our webpage for your project.  First, visit our Native Plant Database and enter "Turk's cap" into the Name slot under Search native plant database:   This will lead you to the species page for Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii (Turk's cap or turkscap) that has a lot of information about Turk's cap such as the plant's characteristics, its distribution and growing conditions and much more.  If you scroll down the bottom of the page, you will find a heading called ADDITIONAL RESOURCES.  If you click on the link for the USDA, you will go to the page for Turk's cap in the USDA Plants Database to see what information they have.  If you click on the link for FNA (Flora of North America), you will find that Turk's cap isn't yet included in the FNA online. If you click on the Google link, you will find many articles about Turk's cap from other webpages such as the Archive of Central Texas Plants from the School of Biological Sciences at the University of Texas.  Good luck with your report!

Turk's cap or turkscap
Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii

Turk's cap or turkscap
Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii