Thursday - October 04, 2012

From: Dinwiddie, VA
Title: Identification of a plant saprophytic on oaks

What is name of plant poking up through the leaves near base of oak tree that appears as a cluster of yellow-brown stalks that resemble small pinecones or pineapples or cobs of corn?

This sounds like Conopholis americana (American cancer-root), a saprophytic plant that feeds on the roots of oak trees.   Here is more information from Illinois Wildflowers and from Plants of Wisconsin.  Here are photos from Southwest Virginia Flora.

If this isn't the plant you saw and you have photos of it, please visit our Plant Identification page to find links to several plant identification forums that accept photos of plants for identification.

American cancer-root
Conopholis americana

American cancer-root
Conopholis americana

American cancer-root
Conopholis americana