Mr. Smarty Plants - Drought resistant plants or flowering shrubs with pink flowers

Friday - September 15, 2006

From: Corinth, TX
Title: Drought resistant plants or flowering shrubs with pink flowers
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

I need a hardy, drought resistant flower or flowering shrub for my renter, who likes pink flowers. She doesn't remember to water and most likely won't do any weeding. Area is Corinth, TX.

ANSWER:

The Rock rose or Pavonia (Pavonia lasiopetala) meets all your criteria. Be sure to select "Growing Conditions" from the menu at the top of the page to see instructions on caring for the plant. You can search for nurseries in your area that specialize in native plants in our National Suppliers Directory.