Thursday - January 30, 2003

From: Andalusia, PA
Topic: Wildlife Gardens
Title: Creating a wildlife refuge
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

We would like to make my yard more of a wildlife refuge by using a portion of the lawn for plants and shrubs and may afford shelter for birds and other wildlife. Can you please recommend what we should plant?

ANSWER:

I think it is wonderful that you are researching plants that are native to your area in regards to landscaping. The benefits of landscaping with native plants are innumerable, and your support and care of your local ecosystem will prove to be beneficial in the long-run. We do provide information on-line about native plants that are distributed in your area from our Native Plants Database, as well as general guidelines to assist the home landscaper with projects; however, the information that you are requesting is very specific for your region. An alternate resource that you can utilize regarding native plants in your area is the Pennsylvania Native Plant Society website.