Sunday - September 16, 2012

From: Weatherford, TX
Title: Need information about grasses for cattle grazing in Weatherford, TX.

QUESTION:

Need info on what I can plant for cattle to graze thru winter. grasshoppers and drought have decimated our coastal hay for past 2 yrs.Is there anything we can treat all the weeds with besides chemicals. I have 25 acres with cattle in Weatherford, Texas. thanks!

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants has never been at home on the range. The mission of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes, so cattle grazing is out of our area of expertise.

I suggest that you contact the folks at the Parker County office of Texas AgriLife Extension for some help closer to home.
The two links below have some information that may be helpful.

Texas Foundation Feed Service

farmprogress.com