En EspaŅol

Q. Who is Mr. Smarty Plants?

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers are the culpable and capable culprits. Yet, others think staff members play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Help us grow by giving to the Plant Database Fund or by becoming a member

Did you know you can access the Native Plant Information Network with your web-enabled smartphone?

Share

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants is a free service provided by the staff and volunteers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Search Smarty Plants
    
 
See a list of all Smarty Plants questions
Can't find the answer in our existing FAQs, submit a question to Mr. Smarty Plants.
Need help with plant identification, visit the plant identification page.
 
rate this answer
1 rating

Tuesday - September 18, 2012

From: Sedalia, CO
Region: Rocky Mountain
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Is it quantity that makes silver nightshade poisonous to people?
Answered by: Nan Hampton

QUESTION:

I have a recipe for Asadero cheese that uses silverleaf nightshade and have eaten this cheese many times. Is it too much quantity that makes it poisonous to people?

ANSWER:

Solanum elaeagnifolium (Silverleaf nightshade), is called in our Native Plant Database "an aggressive, poisonous weed...".  It isn't listed in Poisonous Plants of North Carolina (probably because silver nightshade isn't prevalent in the Eastern US), but the closely related Solanum carolinense (Carolina horse-nettle) is listed as Toxic Only If Large Quantities Eaten.  Silver nightshade is listed in the Plants of Texas Rangelands as a toxic agent that:

"...has reportedly poisoned horses, sheep, goats, cattle and humans. However, sheep and goats are more resistant than cattle, and in controlled experiments, goats were not poisoned at all. Its toxic agent is solanine. The leaves and fruit are toxic at all stages of maturity; the highest concentration is in ripe fruits. In some instances, an animal can be poisoned by eating 0.1 to 0.3 percent of its weight in silverleaf nightshade."

The California Poison Control System gives all the Solanum species a Toxicity Rating of 1, meaning that the plants in the Genus Solanum "may cause serious illness or death".

The Veterinary Medicine Library of the University of Illinois lists all Solanum species and says that risk of poisoning depends on the species, the maturity of the plants and other conditions. They also say that for S. eleagnifolium it is the ripe berries that are more poisonous than the green unripe berries—this is in contrast to most other species of nightshade (and in contradiction of Plants of Texas Rangelands information).  They also mention that silver nightshade can be poisonous at only 0.1% of the body weight.

Pennsylvania Poisonous Plants Database doesn't list S. eleagnifolium, but does list S. carolinense, S. nigurm [synonym=Solanum americanum (American black nightshade) and S. dulcamara (Bittersweet nightshade). S. tuberosum (potato) is also included for the potential of poisoning from potatoes with skins that have turned green due to sun exposure from growing too near the surface.

You can see my answer to a recent question about S. americanum (American black nightshade) and my advice about eating just one berry.  I don't know what part of the silver nightshade you are thinking of using in making your cheese, but my advice to you is to read the information about the toxicity of all the Solanum species and use extreme caution before trying even a small amount of the plant.   In fact, if I were you, I would avoid consuming even a small amount of it.

 

From the Image Gallery


Silverleaf nightshade
Solanum elaeagnifolium

Silverleaf nightshade
Solanum elaeagnifolium

Silverleaf nightshade
Solanum elaeagnifolium

More Poisonous Plants Questions

Is Rosa rugosa poisonous?
August 04, 2007 - Are beach plums from a Rosa rogosa poisonous?
view the full question and answer

Topical treatment for poison ivy rash
November 12, 2008 - I would like to know a topical treatment for the poison ivy rash
view the full question and answer

Jimsonweed and its toxic nature
June 21, 2011 - I purchased a Jimson weed plant at a local plant sale at the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center this spring and was quite surprised at how quickly & large it grew. After the first round of flowers fa...
view the full question and answer

Are globe mallows (Sphaeralcea spp.) harmful to dogs
May 20, 2010 - My dogs eat the wild globe mallow plants in my yard. Could that be harmful to them?
view the full question and answer

Precautions to take with Jack-in-the-Pulpit, Arisaema triphyllum
September 13, 2009 - Are there precautions to take, such as wearing gloves while separating the seeds from the Jack In The Pulpit berries. The photos I have seen have gloved hands. I've read that the plant is toxic if in...
view the full question and answer

Smarty Plants's Facebook profile Support the Wildflower Center by Donating Online or Becoming a Member today.

Mr. Smarty Plants wants you to be his Facebook friend. Click the Facebook icon to add yourself to Mr. Smarty Plants list of friends.
E-NEWSLETTER | BECOME A MEMBER | DONATE NOW | MEDIA | SITEMAP
© 2014 Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center