En EspaÑol

Wednesday - September 05, 2012

From: Wimberley, TX
Topic: Plant Lists, Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Oaks at Wildflower Center from Wimberley TX

I know you have numerous Quercus fusiformis examples at the ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center. My question is, do you also have Quercus virginiana growing there? Also, is Oak Wilt a disease that has been around for thousands of years, or did it get brought in in recent times?

From our Recommended Species page, there is a Master List of Arboretum Taxa and our Oak Collection, both of which include Quercus fusiformis (Escarpment live oak) and Quercus virginiana (Coastal live oak).

From Austin Tree Specialists, here is a History of Oak Wilt,  which should answer your question about where it came from. The answer is apparently that it has been around natively for a very long time, and just wasn't identified until more people came into some of the infected areas. We suggest you read all of Texas Oak Wilt.org for more information.

Coastal live oak
Quercus virginiana

Escarpment live oak
Quercus fusiformis