Friday - September 15, 2006

From: Dallas, TX
Topic: Plant Lists
Title: Listings of the native plants in Texas

What are the native plants in the state of Texas?

There are, by most counts, over 5000 species of plants in Texas. "Vascular Plants of Texas: A Comprehensive Checklist Including Synonymy, Bibliography, and Index" (Stanley D. Jones, Joseph K. Wipff, and Paul M. Montgomery. 1997. University of Texas Press) lists 5812 species.

You can see over 900 of these by going to the Native Plants Database and selecting "Narrow your search" under Combination Search in the menu. This will take you to the "Advanced Search" page where you can choose "Texas" from the Select Your State option. This will give you a list with thumbnail photographs for native plants of Texas that are included in the Native Plants Database.

You can also download a state PLANTS checklist from the USDA Plants Database.

You can find "flora, field guides, and other native plant publications" for Texas in our Native Plant Bibliography.