Tuesday - September 12, 2006

From: Grand Prairie, TX
Topic: Wildflower Center
Title: Wildflowers to see at Wildflower Center in September

QUESTION:

My wife and I will be coming to Austin for the Quilt Show September 29, 2006. Will the wild flowers and gardens still be active? We would very much like to visit if there would still be plenty to see.

ANSWER:

The end of September is generally the peak of the season for our fall bloomers, such as:
Snow-on-the-mountain (Euphorbia marginata)
Common sunflower (Helianthus annuus)
Gay-feather (Liatris mucronata)
Velvetleaf senna (Senna lindheimeriana)
Giant goldenrod (Solidago canadensis)
Golden-Eye (Viguiera dentata)

Because of the very hot and dry summer we have had this year, they may not be as showy as some years; however, the recent rains should help the situation.

Additionally, we have a sculpture exhibit, Big Bugs, that will be on display at the Wildflower Center until November 4.

We hope you will come and visit the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center while you are in Austin.