Friday - August 24, 2012

From: Lancaster, OH
Topic: Seeds and Seeding, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Propagation of Baptisia from Lancaster OH

My Baptisia has gone to seed. When can I plant these seeds? Do they need strat? (zone 5)

There are four members of the Baptisia genus native to Ohio: Baptisia alba (White wild indigo), Baptisia alba var. macrophylla (Largeleaf wild indigo), Baptisia australis (Blue wild indigo), and Baptisia tinctoria (Horseflyweed).

Propagation instructions for Baptisia alba (White wild indigo).

Propagation Material: Root Division , Seeds
Description: Sow unstratified seed in fall or stratified seed in spring. Plant 1/2 deep. Plants germinate quickly but do not flower for up to 3 years. The tough rootstock can be divided in the fall. The roots are deep, so dig deeply to avoid breakage. Cuttings can also be taken.
Seed Collection: About six weeks past flowering, the pods should be black and beginning to open. Collect at this time comb the seeds from the pod. Mature, viable seeds will be brownish, hard and rounded. Store in sealed, refrigerated containers.
Seed Treatment: Scarification (one source says to pour 135 degree water over seeds and let cool overnight), inoculation, and moist stratification for 10 days.
Commercially Avail: yes

Blue wild indigo
Baptisia australis

Baptisia tinctoria