En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - How to Propagate Mountain Laurel by Seed

Thursday - January 02, 2003

Title: How to Propagate Mountain Laurel by Seed
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

How do I propagate mountain laurel by seed?

ANSWER:

The seed of Mountain Laurel (taxonomic name: Sophora secundiflora (mescal bean) requires scarification to ensure germination. This can be performed by "knicking" the seed coat with a knife, or uniformly abrading the seed-coat with sandpaper. Combine this with boiling some water, then letting it cool to a warm temperature and soaking the scarified seed overnight. Jill Nokes, author of "How to Grow Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest", recommends: "Pretreated seeds will germinate within two weeks in a greenhouse or outdoors after the soil has warmed". She also suggests accommodating the long initial root with a longer container, as well as utilizing a well-draining media. She advises that the plants do not transplant well from the flat and are also sensitive to overhead watering. Make sure that you place the seedlings (or pre-treated seed) in an area that receives direct sunlight to encourage strong, upright growth.

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora