Thursday - August 16, 2012

From: Glendora, CA
Title: Growing Citrus Trees in Glendora CA
Answered by: Brigid & Larry Larson

We're considering moving to Glendora, CA (from the East Coast) and wondered if it is possible to successfully grow orange and other citrus trees that far inland? Any advice you can offer will be much appreciated! Thanks, Kevin

The mission of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes.  As such, we really don’t have much information on Citrus trees as they are imports from Southeast Asia and have pretty much been introduced almost anywhere that you will find them!

Having stated the official line, Mr Smarty Plants doesn’t think you’ll have much trouble growing well chosen varieties of citrus there.  In fact, while checking out the general area, I found out that Glendora is in an area called  “Citrus Valley”. 

Still, to get good information, I would recommend contacting the local UC Davis Agricultural Extension office or perhaps a local gardening club.

[The pictures below are some colorful non-Citrus California natives]

Lewis' mock orange
Philadelphus lewisii

California poppy
Eschscholzia californica

Creeping barberry
Mahonia repens