Tuesday - August 14, 2012

From: Lakeway, TX
Topic: Pests, Trees
Title: Oaks emitting substance in Lakeway TX

QUESTION:

We have two large oak trees in our yard that are emitting a clear, very sticky, non-fragrant substance. The leaves are beginning to be covered as is our deck. Bees are now attracted and I am worried how long this will last and if I should be treating the tree in any way. Do you have any idea what this could be?

ANSWER:

One word: Aphids. They are unusually bad this year, and we have answered many questions on them. From the University of California Integrated Pest Management Program, here is an article on managing aphid infestations.

Here are some previous answers to help you out:

Austin Aug. 8, 2012

Austin July 30, 2012

Austin July 14, 2012

Since all of these have more links in them, and possibly some duplications we think that's 'nuff said,