Mr. Smarty Plants - A tap-rooted tree for Munroe Falls, OH?

Thursday - August 16, 2012

From: Munroe Falls, OH
Title: A tap-rooted tree for Munroe Falls, OH?

QUESTION:

Hello.. We need to find a fast growing shade tree which has a tap root or a heart root system. No surface roots please. We live in Munroe Falls, Ohio which I believe is Zone 5. Let us know your thoughts.

ANSWER:

We're sorry to say there is no tree that meets your criteria.  A number of tree species are deep-rooted or have tap roots, but none have no surface roots.  Also, in general, fast-growing trees are more shallow-rooted.

We would recommend one of several native oaks in the white oak group that are native to Ohio.  Among them are: White Oak, Quercus alba, Bur Oak, Quercus macrocarpa; Chinkapin Oak, Quercus muhlenbergii and Chestnut Oak, Quercus prinus.  Any of these would make a very fine shade tree for your garden.