Mr. Smarty Plants - Sources for plants from Abingdon MD

Thursday - August 02, 2012

From: Abingdon, MD
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Vines
Title: Sources for plants from Abingdon MD

QUESTION:

What stores or nursuries in Harford County sell already grown Coral honeysuckle, Purple passion flower, trumpet creeper, and crossvine?

ANSWER:

We're afraid this is telescoping our job down to very minute local issues, and really has nothing to do with plants themselves, just retail dealers. You might as well ask us where you can get Size 7 flat-heeled green shoes on a certain street. Obviously, you can use a computer, so we are going to show you how to find native plant dealers in your area.

First, go to our National Suppliers Directory, put your town and state (or just your zipcode) in the "Enter Search Location" box, and click on GO. This will give you a list of native plant nurseries, seed companies and consultants in your general area. Each will have contact information, and you can call or e-mail each to see what they have in stock before you start driving around.

When we tried this, we got lists of 6 each of nurseries, seed companies, landscape profesionals and environmental consultants, each with a link to more.

Gratuitously, we will comment that all of your selections, Lonicera sempervirens (Coral honeysuckle), Passiflora incarnata (Purple passionflower), Campsis radicans (Trumpet creeper), and Bignonia capreolata (Crossvine) are vines native to Maryland and all are capable of being somewhat invasive under favorable conditions, the trumpet creeper more so. You can folllow each plant link to our webpage on that plant to learns growing conditions, light requirements, expected size, preferred soils and time and color of blooms. If you need more informaton on a plant, scroll down that webpage to Additional Resources and click on the link to Google on that plant.

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Purple passionflower
Passiflora incarnata

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans

Crossvine
Bignonia capreolata