Tuesday - July 31, 2012

From: Houston, TX
Topic: Compost and Mulch, Groundcovers, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Will Habiturf thrive in Houston?

Will Habiturf grow in partial sun? My lawn is surrounded by trees so that there is only about an hour each day with direct overhead sun. The rest of the day there is a light shade.

We are afraid the quick answer is "no." Attempts are being made to develop native grasses that will do well in shade, and there are some, but they are not what you would consider a lawn grass. We have information on our website prepared by the researchers who have developed Habiturf, and we suggest that you read them to understand the conditions and preparation required. Meanwhile, you might consider other replacements for the standard, water-slurping lawn, such as decomposed granite for walkways, surrounding decorative plant beds, and mulch for covering roots and protecting the soil beneath large trees, which seldom permit the growth of grass beneath them.

Native Lawns: Habiturf - The Ecological Lawn