Mr. Smarty Plants - Care for non-native Plumeria from Concord NC

Wednesday - August 01, 2012

From: Concord, NC
Topic: Non-Natives, Shrubs
Title: Care for non-native Plumeria from Concord NC

QUESTION:

I have had my plumeria plant for the past 5 to 7 years. It is a pot plant and I live in North Carolina, I take the pot inside in he winter time. The leaves fall off, in the spring after the last frost I take it outside and leave it. It get sun most of the day and I do water it either every day or every other day, depending on the temp out side. It puts on new leaves but it has never bloomed. Is there something h different I should be doing?

ANSWER:

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is dedicated to the growth, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the areas in which those plants grow naturally. Plumeria (Frangipani) is native to New Zealand, Central and South America and Mexico, and therefore out of our range of expertise.

Here are two websites that can help you much more than we could:

Plumeria 101: Everything You Need to Know about Growing Plumeria

Virtual International Plumeria Society