Mr. Smarty Plants - Transplanting native, protected Ostrich fern in New York

Tuesday - September 05, 2006

From: New Rochelle, NY
Topic: Transplants, Ferns
Title: Transplanting native, protected Ostrich fern in New York
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

Please give advice about how to transplant Matteuccia struthiopteris. What is the best time of year to do this?

ANSWER:

The best time to transplant Ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) in New York is in the spring before it produces its first new leaves. Several weeks before the average last frost would be a good date to do your transplanting. Here is some information about ferns and their care from Virginia Tech Extension Service.

You should know that Ostrich Ferns are among the Protected Plants in New York State and should not be removed from the wild.