Mr. Smarty Plants - Would Habiturf or buffalograss work in Charlottesville VA

Wednesday - July 18, 2012

From: Charlottesville, VA
Topic: Groundcovers, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Would Habiturf or buffalograss work in Charlottesville VA

QUESTION:

Hello, I am looking for an alternative to traditional turf grasses. I stumbled upon some information on your site about buffalo grass and LBJWC's 'Habiturf' mix and would like to know if this would be feasible in Southern Virginia (2 sites) zones 6b and 7 with approximately 44" a rain a year. The soil is a clay loam. I can't seem to find any data that says that it would not survive, however I am also unable to find any definitive data that suggests that it will. If viable, I think it would be a great alternative. Any thoughts?

ANSWER:

We get a lot of questions on the native grass mixes for Central Texas. Although this previous answer that we would like for you to read is from southeast Texas, it touches on the same points.