Mr. Smarty Plants - Problems for non-native St. Augustine grass from Little Rock AR

Wednesday - July 18, 2012

From: Little Rock, AR
Topic: Non-Natives, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Problems for non-native St. Augustine grass from Little Rock AR

QUESTION:

We sodded St. Augustine grass four weeks ago. For the first three weeks we had no rain and temperatures over 100 degrees. We have watered 20 minutes twice a day since installation. There are brown patches throughout the grass that were on two corners initially. What can be the cause of these patches and the possible solution? Thank you

ANSWER:

Unfortunately, this is not the right place to come to for a question on St. Augustine grass. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the growth, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America (St. Augustine is a tropical originating in Africa) but to the areas in which those plants are being grown. We are going to link you to some sites on St. Augustine that will hopefully answer your questions.

University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service St. Augustine Grass

Same source Choosing a Grass for Arkansas Lawns